Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Words and Welcomes

I recently had a "friendly discussion" with someone about whether one of my all-time favorite words had positive connotations or not. I love words. Words are incredible. Then again, that might be because I'm an English major. The written language is kind of my thing....

So this discussion was centered around my comment that "whimsical" is a phenomenal word. It's one of my favorites. It sounds pretty and has this airy feel about it that makes me feel all warm and tingly. It's pretty much me in word form (if that's possible for a person to take on the form of a single word, anyway). I'd been talking about words that I love with one of my really good friends and this person had overheard us because we were eating dinner at the same table in the cafeteria. When I mentioned my love for "whimsical," he jumped in asking why I would like a word that meant flighty or flaky. Please.

Technically, yes, whimsical can mean a slight tendency to be a bit air-headed or absentminded about things. I told him that it was not a negative word. It doesn't have the sound of one. I said it meant fanciful. It was delicate and quirky and playful. My friend backed me up. And I'm right (as always....). I looked it up to prove it.

My dictionary says: "'whimsical' - playfully quaint or fanciful, esp. in an appealing or amusing way."

Whimsical is an attractive word with both a sunny side full of fun and spur of the moment decisions that can lead to adventures and a shady side of quick changes of mood and mind that can be chaotic and hectic and result in lost thoughts and slight forgetfulness.

And that's who I am. I am a person driven by whim and fancy. Adventures happen often. As do cartwheels and Hello Kitty slippers and changing nail polish color. I do many things because I can and because I think they're fun. Which certainly promises some interesting and exciting college years. So welcome to my world. It's full of books and movies and photography and music and comforting smells and steaming mugs of tea. Let's go on an Adventure, shall we?

No comments:

Post a Comment